Monday, April 19, 2010

Elizabeth Wurtzel on depression


When i was a child; just into my teens, I discovered the book Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel. I related to her even back then and that was in my innocence, however disordered I was. I felt a sense of relief in her sufference, because my life, as a child, wasn't so complicated. But now i get that is childhood, and that is innocence. As an adult I am going to re read the book. On reading quotes from the book I feel that she can put into words what disables me.


"If only my life could be more like the movies. I want an angel to swoop down to me like he does to Jimmy Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life" and talk me out of suicide. I've always waited for that one moment of truth to set me free and change my life forever. but he won't come. it doesn't happen that way. "

"Hemingway has his classic moment in "The Sun Also Rises" when someone asks Mike Campbell how he went bankrupt. All he can say is, "Gradually, then suddenly." That's how depression hits. You wake up one morning, afraid that you're gonna live. "

“I start to feel like I can’t maintain the facade any longer, that I may just start to show through. And I wish I knew what was wrong. Maybe something about how stupid my whole life is. I don’t know. Why does the rest of the world put up with the hypocrisy, the need to put a happy face on sorrow, the need to keep on keeping on?... I don’t know the answer, I know only that I can’t. I don't want any more vicissitudes, I don't want any more of this try, try again stuff. I just want out. I’ve had it. I am so tired. I am twenty and I am already exhausted.”

“That's the thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it's impossible to ever see the end. The fog is like a cage without a key.”

"Insanity is knowing that what you're doing is completely idiotic, but still, somehow, you just can't stop it."

“I feel like a defective model, like I came off the assembly line flat-out fucked and my parents should have taken me back for repairs before the warranty ran out.”

“it's the people you are close to, the ones who love you, the ones who have seen your heart, who have touched your soul- to them, it is obvious that something is wrong or missing. your heart and soul are missing. they feel it. it hurts them. it kills them.”

“I start to think there really is no cure for depression, that happiness is an ongoing battle, and I wonder if it isn't one I'll have to fight for as long as I live. I wonder if it's worth it.”

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prozac-Nation-Depressed-America-Memoir/dp/0704380080/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271700194&sr=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment